- The modern oat draws its ancestry from the wild red oat, a plant originating in Asia. Oats have been cultivated for two thousand years in various regions throughout the world. Before being consumed as a food, oats were used for animal feed and medicinal purposes, a use for which they are still honored.
- Oats are popular for being a very nutritious food and their cholesterol fighting soluble fiber make them unique. One component of the soluble fibre found in oats is beta-glucans, a soluble fiber which has proven effective in lowering blood cholesterol and reducing the risk of type 2 diabetes and heart disease.
- Oats are a gluten free grain. As Fieldstone Organics cleans other whole grains containing gluten there is the potential of cross contamination therefore Fieldstone Organics oats are not marketed as a gluten free product.
- Oats are a very good source of manganese, selenium, magnesium, zinc and phosphorus.
- Oats are the only cereal grain containing a globulin type protein called ‘avenalin’ (also found in legumes) which is easily digested and approved for celiac free diets.
How to Enjoy
- Flake whole oats and add boiled water for a fresh porridge. Enjoy with fresh fruit and yogurt.
- Or use flakes in your favorite fruit crisp topping, muesli, granola or dessert bars.
- Mill into flour and use in a variety of baked goods, such as oatcakes, oatmeal cookies, and oat bread.
- Freshley ground oat flour can be used as a thickening agent for soups and stews. Process small quantities to preserve nutritional value and to prevent spoiling.
To learn more visit Storage Tips
How to Prepare
- Whole grains should be rinsed and drained prior to soaking and sprouting.
- Consume grains raw and whole as a breakfast cereal by soaking them overnight or 10-12 hrs in the refrigerator. This has the added benefit of activating the seed enzymes, making the grain more digestible and nutritious.
- Complimentary spices for oatmeal include cinnamon, nutmeg, mace, and ginger.
- To cook, place whole oats in slow cooker, 3 parts water to 1 part whole grain oats and cook on low heat for 8 hours. Enjoy a hot breakfast with fresh fruits and yogurt.
- Fieldstone Organics whole grains can be milled into whole grain flour on demand with one of our domestic mills available for purchase. Grinding on demand optimizes flavor and nutrition and provides the opportunity to buy whole grains in bulk packaging, resulting in overall savings.
Our oats are grown in Western Canada on healthy organic soils.
It is part of Fieldstone Granary's coordinated Organic Producer plan, where crops are grown within one degree of separation, according to the high standards of the Canadian Organic Regime. This way Fieldstone can assure a high level of purity and integrity of the grain.